For New Zealanders, one of the biggest advantages of playing casino games online is being able play any game for free at any time. This gives players the opportunity to try out all those high risk and interesting card games they would usually not dare put money on. This is especially true for the game of baccarat. With the introduction of online and mobile casinos, baccarat is a game that has flourished around the world. In the online version of the game, players compete against the dealer by trying to achieve a higher hand value, similar to Blackjack. However, in baccarat, you do not necessarily have to bet on your own hand to win. Players can choose from three betting options at every hand. They can either choose to bet on their own hand, the banker’s hand, or to bet on a tie.
Playing for Real Money
Once you understand the rules of the game and you are confident enough, you can always start playing for real money. In New Zealand, online casinos give players the opportunity to swap over to playing for real money at any time. As long as you have funds in your online account, you can simply log in and start playing like enthusiasts.
How to Play the Online Version
With online baccarat, the game begins by the player being dealt two cards. All of the low number cards 2 through to 9 are worth their face value in points. The 10, Jack, Queen and King are all worth 10 points and the ace is worth a single point. In Baccarat, totalling your points can get a bit confusing. In order to determine your score, you to you need to total the card points and then drop the first digit. For example, if you are dealt a 3 and an 8, then the total is 3+8=11. When you drop the first digit, the total points = 1. A third card can be drawn for either the player or the banker depending on the points of the first two cards. The third card rules are explained as such:
Player’s Third Card Rule
- If the player or bank has a natural hand of either 8 or 9 from the first two cards, then another card cannot be drawn.
- When the player’s hand has less than or equal to five, the player can draw a third card.
- In Baccarat, if the player does not draw a third card then the banker’s hand must stand on 6 or more. IE if the banker has cards totalling under 6, they must take a third card. When a player takes the third card the Bank must follow the Bankers third card rules.
Banker’s Third Card Rule
- If the banker’s total is 2 or less, the banker draws a card, regardless of what the player’s third card is.
- If the banker total is 3, then the bank draws a third card unless the player’s third card was an 8.
- If the banker total is 4, then the bank draws a third card if the player’s third card was 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
- If the banker total is 5, then the bank draws a third card if the player’s third card was 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- If the banker total is 6, then the bank draws a third card if the player’s third card was a 6 or 7.
- If the banker total is 7, then the banker stands.